Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Getting to the bottom of things

When we are not running around visiting, playdating, swimming, beaching, vacationing, yadda yadda, I have been cleaning. AND I MEAN CLEANING. I have taken one room at a time that I have started to deep clean. I have a goal of three garbage bags a week less of crap in our house. The bags can either be donated, pitched, recycled, sold, or shredded (old bills and stuff) These are bags on top of all the stuff that normally leaves the house as garbage or recyclables. I have to say that I am doing pretty darn good sticking to my goals. Unfortunately this cleaning rampage takes up a lot of the time I would normally be spending with the kids. Fortunately, we are making a lot of it "family time." The girls actually enjoy washing the walls and dusting. I don't toss any of their old toys in front of them however and every now and again, they catch an old magazine in the "outbox" and I have to blame it on Cecelia. Poor Cecelia. Only Elizabeth has this little thing she says everytime Cecelia does something wrong, "It's okay. She's just a baby and she doesn't know any better. We will just have to teach her not to _________anymore." So cute!

I have come to the realization that we have toooooo much stuff. Its not just my nesting kicking in, but it's just looking at the house and seeing closets bursting at the seams and useless junk everywhere. I am on a mission to make our home more liveable and welcoming and make my life a little easier and more relaxed. We had one garage sale already this year and it seems like all the "old people" came. I don't know where all the young mothers were because they are the ones I REALLY need at my garage sales. I might take a few things over to Jay's mom's in September when she has her sub sale. I am also looking to get started listing things on craigslist. I have 12ish weeks to go and I want this house in tip top shape before then. Though it would be pretty nice to get it all done before school starts. I think I can! I think I can! I think I can!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Keep up the good work! You'll get there!

Kim Cervone said...

need some of your motivation to rub off on me. Even when the kids rooms are "clean", you can hardly navigate through them. I wish I would, I wish I would : )