Friday, May 30, 2008

Up North

This past weekend we spent a nice relaxing time at the cabin. I love going up there. I love that Jay loves going up there. I love even more that the girls have a great appreciation for the place. My grandfather has owned that particular cabin since 1979. When he bought it, it was a small place with a bunk room, a kitchen and a living room. I think if I recall there was a small bedroom and one tiny bathroom. In 1987, he added on twice and then some. Now it's a 3,000 sq ft "hunting lodge" as he calls it and its loads of fun. Its situated on 200 acres in Long Rapids, Mi, about 20 miles from Alpena. The best part about the whole thing is that my dad's father owns it, but it's located within 20 miles of my mom's whole family. So, when we visit the cabin, we also get to spend time with my mom's family. It's awesome!

Since it was a long cold winter, none of my aunts on my mom's side had met Cecelia. They were pretty excited to see her and she aimed to please. She was just awesome. She was full of smiles and lots of giggles and grins for everyone. We visited with my mom's sister, my Aunt Rita and Uncle Merle and even stopped in to see my Aunt Barb who was married to my mom's brother, my Godfather, Uncle Paulie who died 3 days before Cecelia arrived. My Dad calls Cecelia Paul's replacement and I told my Aunt Barb so and she said its amazing that she has his dark hair and bright blue eyes. I think a little piece of him lives on in her. I just hope she doesn't have his crazy Darga blood in her. Haha!

The girls went up on Thursday with my mom and dad. Jay worked Thursday and Friday and we left as soon as he got home Saturday morning. What a nice drive up we had in the new van! Woot! We got there and had lunch and visited with Aunt Rita and Jenny (my cousin) Saturday night we had a bonfire and roasted dogs and marshmallows. Sunday we went out to Aunt Rita's to see her and Uncle Merle, had some time in the woods on the four wheelers and golf carts, and went to Alpena to play at the park. Monday we went to Rogers City to play at the park and stopped in to see Aunt Barb. I had to cry a little cause the last time I was at her house was when Uncle Paulie was still alive. I miss him a little everyday and wish so much that I could have been at the funeral. Cecelia had other plans for me, though. :)

The coolest thing ever. Jay was working out by his deer blind on Sunday, planting his food plot and cleaning a few things when he heard rustling in the woods. Ended up being a brand new baby fawn. Umbilical cord was still attached. He took soem great pics of him and set him free. I was sad that the girls and I missed it. I am pretty sure that was a once in a lifetime thing.

Thats all I got tonight. It was a beautiful weekend and one that I can't wait to repeat sometime this summer. I only hope the mosquitoes are fewer. Ugh.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a great visit! I'm anxious to see the pics of the newborn deer.

Jen said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend!!!

Can't wait for the deer pics!!

Kim Cervone said...

Sounds like a great time. I'm sure your uncle would be glad that you were bringing joy to the family at such a sad time. Cecelia has been bringing smiles to sad faces since day one, I guess