Monday, July 14, 2008

Rest In Peace Grandpa John Stema

Today the world lost an amazing man. Jay's Grandpa John passed away this morning at the ripe age of 97 years young. He was an extraordinary man who lived thru many things. He outlived two wives and was still going strong. I remember when I met Jay for the first time, we were talking of my family's cabin and hunting property near Alpena and he asked me if it was near Posen. He told me he had a step- grandfather who grew up in Posen. Come to find out, Grandpa John knew my entire family. He grew up with my mom's father and knew my dad's family amazingly well (Posen is a SMALL town)

Grandpa John was Jay's step grandfather. He married Jay's mom's mother before Jay was even born. ALl his life, Grandpa John has been the only Grandfather he knew. Although they weren't super close, we all loved Grandpa John. He was at all three of our girl's christenings and first birthday parties. He was even at my Busia and Dzia dzia's 50th wedding anniversary with Jay's grandma (this was way before Jay and I even met.)

He was a fantastic man who will be dearly missed. I always felt special when he was around because even though there were times when he didn't remember who he himself was and couldn't recognize anyone, he always remembered me and called me "that Darga girl from Posen." I am going to miss his spirit, but most of all his stories about my family and about people in Posen. I am glad that Jay's Aunt Maddy spent countless hours dictating his stories so that it will be a memorial for all of us.

So long Grandpa John. We love you and will miss you always......

2 comments:

Unknown said...

(huge hugs)
Loss is never easy.
I'm so sorry for yours.

Kim Cervone said...

What a wonderful tribute you have written for him. I said a prayer for you, Jay and his family xo