Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Th hi-lite of our month thus far

Please be aware that this post contains MAJOR momma brags.

Not that everyday isn't better than the last, but we did have parent teacher conferences this past week. Our first "official" parent teacher conference. We sat in the hallway waiting for the teacher and laughed that we will be doing this for at least the next 20 years! Hard to believe, huh?

We had the best conference any parent could have asked for. Emily is a great student. She gets along well with her classmates and has developed a great voice and isn't afraid to use it (which is always one of my biggest concerns cause she always seems so quiet to me.) Mrs. Champagne told us that she is in an extra reading group that only 5 students total are in in all three Kindergarten classes combined. Emily is reading leaps and bounds ahead of her peers. I can honestly say that I wasn't shocked because the kid can READ and read well. With such enthusiam. I fear she is going to out smart me soon. Seriously.

Then came the shocker! Mrs. Champagne informed us that she thinks Emily is above and beyond and more than ready for FIRST grade! And not first grade next September. She wants her to go to first grade soon. YIKES! I have made mention on more than one occasion that I would like to have her tested just to see where she lies on the spectrum, but to hear another person say what I think is something totally different. She said that Emily is way ahead of everyone in the class and she feels she can't teach her any more than she already knows. She is doing things that the first graders do. The only thing she wants to work on is writing because she would like to see what Em is capable of. Well, Momma had a journal stashed away that I pulled out and Emily started writing. REAL words. REAL sentences. Complete thoughts with a capital letter and a period. I cried tears of pure joy. How she knows this? I am not quite sure. Nothing that has been formally taught to her by myself or her teacher. I think with a little practice and help, the kid will be writing novels soon.

The next step is Mrs. Champagne speaking with the principal to see if this is even a possiblity. Then if that gets us the go ahead, we will meet with the first grade teachers. I am a ball of emotions right now. I have no idea what to do. Do we keep her in Kindergarten and let her be ahead, but be with her friends that she has made? Do we leave her in Kindergarten so I can be selfish and have her home with me at lunchtime? Or do we put her into first grade. A new classroom, new friends, a bigger challenge? Dear Lord. Pray for me and PRAY HARD. I will need all the help I can get making this BIG huge decision.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

(((hugs)))
She's an amazing lil' girl! You have been blessed by her. This is a very hard and life changing decision. One that only you and Jay can make. Choose carefully.

If you want my input, lmk. Otherwise I'll keep my mouth shut. ;)

Jen said...

Congrats to Em, but we already knew how amazing she was! I'm sure it is a very hard decision that will change the course of her life and yours, so take as much time as you need to make the right one. Lots of ((((HUGS)))) and prayers that the right path comes to you.

Christine said...

Goodness, Lorene! What wonderful news. What a decision to make as well, continue to pray and you will know the answer.